Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lace, Film, and Seagulls

Not too long ago these balls of lace thread resembled a bird's nest. This is the most dainty, soft, thin, alpaca lace yarn, and it was almost ruined. That's right, the dog grabbed it one evening while I wasn't looking. He only had it for 2 seconds or so, but had managed to tangle it so bad that I thought I'd never get it undone again. I wish I would have taken a picture for you, but I didn't. (It wasn't a pretty site).


Three months later it's all balled up and I keep it in a very safe place. Locked up tight, away from any dog or cat. From a far it's a lavender grayish color but when you look closely you can see a million different color strung through it, amazing.
Project #2:
See these? Yep, they're all mine (except the Minolta, it's my dad's, but has been in and out of my possession for the past 15 years or so) and I need to test them. I know, film is out like yesterday's news, but if you can still buy it, there's still a market. My plan is to test all four of these and select the best in terms of accuracy, sharpness, color and black & white. This is a great time of year for photo taking. You have great light in the morning and great light in the evening (and that has nothing to do with daylight saving time, I still think that suck), but once the green starts popping out everywhere it's going to be even better, for the color test anyway. Ever since we got this digital camera I haven't done much with 35mm, but I'm not always happy with the digital image. I have seen some really nice digital cameras though that take awesome pictures, but they're in the $1500 to $3000 range and that ain't going to happen. Hell, I have to wait until payday before I can even buy film for my test.
So, what inspired me to pull out the old SLR's? This morning while on my way to work, must have been 7:45 or so, I saw a great picture and caught myself thinking, "damn, I wish I had my camera," and it wasn't the digital one that I had in mind. The scene was off to the north side of the road in a field that had already turned green. It was slightly foggy but the sun was hitting the landscape here and there. Anyway, in the middle of this field was a flock of seagulls, (yes, in Kansas). There's a land field close by so I'm guessing that's why we have so many in that area. The white birds sitting on and flying around this green field was so pretty I almost pulled over just to look at it longer. That's when I decided I needed to test my cameras and maybe even start carrying one in the car with me. I also got to thinking that living out in the country I'm going to have a lot of photo opportunities and I want to be ready with a good camera. Maybe I can even talk the new hubby to building me a darkroom in the new house or barn (that's a ways off though).
Oh, and I have a scanner now too so I'll be able to show off my test photos.
Later,
Anna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home